The Jewish cemetery on the Lido is one of the oldest in the world and is one of the first examples of Venetian Jewish community. It was established by permission of the Venetian Republic in 1389, following a dispute with the monks of the nearby monastery of St. Nicholas, who claimed ownership of the land. It was used and expanded until 1641, but then fell into disuse until its redevelopment in 1999.
Along with tombstones from the Middle Ages, they were discovered and cataloged more than a thousand dating between 1550 and the first ‘700. The charm of this place has inspired many poets and scholars deeply Romanticism, including Lord Byron and Goethe.
Guided tours to the ancient Jewish Cemetery
Visits are possible with a previous booking.
Euro 90 + the price of every single ticket.
Riviera San Nicolò, isola del Lido
1 -5.1-5.2 – 6 Actv – Lido