Built between 1748 and 1772 by architect Giorgio Massari, Palazzo Grassi was the last palace to be built on the Grand Canal before the fall of the Venetian Republic.
The main stairwell is frescoed by Michelangelo Morlaiter and Francesco Zanchi, and the ceilings are decorated by the artists Giambattista Canal and Christian Griepenkerl. In 1840, the Grassi family sold the palace, and it passed through the hands of several different owners before becoming the International Centre of Arts and Costume in 1951. In 1983, Palazzo Grassi was bought by Fiat as a space for art and archaeology exhibitions, and the building was adapted by the Milanese architect Gae Aulenti. In 2005, Palazzo Grassi was bought by art collector François Pinault. Renovated by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando, it reopened in April 2006 with the exhibition “Where are we going?”, which presented the French businessman’s splendid collection of contemporary and modern art for the first time.
Campo San Samuele, San Marco 3221
20,00 / 15,00 (+ Palazzo Grassi)
1 Actv – Salute
041 240 13 08
25/12 and on Tuesdays