The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is the most important museum in Italy for European and American art of the twentieth century created by the American heiress Peggy Guggenheim (1898-1979). It is based in Venice, in Palazzo Venier dei Leoni on the Grand Canal, in what was the home of the American patron. Inaugurated in 1980, in addition to presenting the personal collection of Peggy Guggenheim, the museum houses the masterpieces of the Hannelore B. and Rudolph B. Schulhof Collection, of the Gianni Mattioli Collection, the Nasher Sculpture Garden and organizes important temporary exhibitions. The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is owned by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation which also manages the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, and is a partner of the Basque Country in the programming of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
The museum displays Peggy Guggenheim’s personal collection, which includes masterpieces from Cubism, Futurism, Metaphysical Painting, European Abstractionism, avant-garde sculpture, Surrealism and American Abstract Expressionism, by some of the greatest artists of the 20th century. Among these Picasso (The poet, On the beach), Braque (The clarinet), Duchamp (Sad young man in a train), Léger (Men in the city), Brancusi (Maiastra, Bird in space), Severini (Mare = Dancer), Picabia ( Extremely rare painting on earth), de Chirico (The red tower, The nostalgia of the poet), Mondrian (Composition n.1 with gray and red 1938 / Composition with red 1939), Kandinsky (Landscape with red spots no 2), Miró (Woman sitting II), Giacometti (Slaughtered woman, Walking woman), Klee (Magic garden), Ernst (The kiss, The dressing of the bride), Magritte (The empire of light), Dalí (The birth of liquid desires), Pollock (The moon woman, Alchemy), Gorky (Untitled), Calder (Arch of petals) and Marini (The angel of the city).
The museum also exhibits both works donated to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, for its Venetian headquarters, after Peggy’s death, and long-term loans from private collections.