The courtyard of the Doge's Palace

Entering the Palace from the Wheat Gate, located on the oldest south wing, on the left is the wing towards the Piazzetta, facing west, on the right the Renaissance wing, to the east. The courtyard is closed, in front, from a fourth side, to the north, where The Doge's Palace borders St. Mark's Basilica, which was the doge's chapel. 

The courtyard and the Loggias

The small marble façade with the clock that is located there dates back to a renovation of 1615. In the center of the courtyard are two real pits, massive and ornate bronze castings dating back to the mid-16th century. The two oldest wings of the palace have simpler and more severe facades on the courtyard, while the Renaissance wing has a richer decoration that culminates, on the bottom, with the Scala dei Giganti, an ancient entrance of honor, with the two colossal statues of Mars and Neptune, sculpted by Sansovino in 1565, symbol of the power of Venice by land and sea. 

Ladder of the Giants

The staircase, designed by Antonio Rizzo, is adjacent to the Arch dedicated to doge Francesco Foscari (1423–1457), a true triumphal arch, round, with alternating bands in Istrian stone and red marble of Verona, connected to the Porta della Carta through the Foscari entrance hall, from which today, on the way to visit, you leave the palace. To the right of the Giganti staircase opens the sixteenth-century Cortile dei Senatori, where they would gathering pending government meetings.

On the same side of the palace, but on the opposite side of the Scala dei Giganti, opens, under the porch, the large Scala dei Censori, built in 1525 perhaps to the design of scarpagnino. From here begins today the visit path to the upper floors of the Palace.

The Loggias

The floor of the loggias allows a ride along the three east, south and west wings of the palace, with suggestive views of the courtyard and the Piazzetta San Marco. It is the loggias that give the architecture of the Palace that extraordinary, characteristic lightness.Today the loggia floor houses, in the 14th century, the Superintendence for Environmental and Architectural Heritage of Venice, and, in the Renaissance, some offices of the direction of the Venetian Civic Museums, as well as one of the museum's bookshops.

Visit route

The visit route includes here, coming from the Scala dei Censori and heading towards the Golden Staircase to climb to the upper floors, the passage along the Renaissance side.Here were the offices of various magistrates. Several "lion's mouths" are embedded on the wall, in which, starting from the end of the 16th century, complaints of crimes or embezzlements could be introduced. Once introduced into the slot, the note ended up in the wooden box that opened on the other side of the wall, at the office to which the complaint was addressed. It must be said that only rarely were these exhibits received by the Government, and in any case after careful verification.Remarkable then are two tombstones: a thirteenth-century (1362), in Gothic characters, dates back to the papacy of Urban V and promises indulgences to those who beg the prisoners, the other, in front of the Scala dei Giganti, is a refined performance by Alessandro Vittoria in memory of the visit to Venice of Henry III of France (1574) and is located beyond the sumptuous access to the Golden Staircase , adorned on the sides by two marble groups made by Tiziano Aspetti in the 16th century: they represent Atlas holding the celestial vault (right) and Hercules killing the Hydra (left).

TICKET THE MUSEUMS OF ST. MARK'S SQUARE

BUY ONLINE the entrance ticket to Palazzo Ducale and the integrated route of St. Mark's Square: CLICK HERE

A single ticket valid for: Doge's Palace, Correr Museum, National Archaeological Museum, Monumental Rooms of the Marciana National Library.
The ticket is valid for 3 months and allows only one entrance to the Doge's Palace and the integrated route.

Full ticket: 25.00 euros

Reduced ticket: 13.00 euros Children from 6 to 14 years; students aged 15 to 25; escorts (max. 2) groups of at least 15 children or students; over 65 years; staff of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism (MiBACT); Rolling Venice Card Holders; F. membersA.The.

Free entry: Residents and born in the Municipality of Venice; Member States I.C.Or.M.; children from 0 to 5 years; disabled person with accompanying person; tour guides** enabled by the province of Venice and tourist interpreters accompanying groups or individual visitors; for each group of at least 15 people, 1 free admission (with reservation only); teachers accompanying school groups, up to a maximum of 2 per group; volunteers of the Civil Service; ordinary MUVE partners; MUVE Friend Card holders, owners of The Cultivist card (plus three escorts).

Family offer: reduced ticket for all members, for families consisting of two adults and at least one boy (from 6 to 14 years old).

School Offer: 5.50 euros per person (valid in the period 1 September – 15 March) for classes of students of all levels, accompanied by their teachers, with a list of names compiled by the institute to which they belong.

Audio guide (can only be purchased at the ticket office): 5 euros (for 1 person), 8 euros (for 2 people).

PALAZZO DUCAL
EPiazzetta San Marco
1Opened every day from 9.30 am to 6.00 pm (last admission at 5.00 pm)- Closed 1/1 and 25/12
Tel. 041 271 59 11
Linee Actv 1 -2-5.1-5.2 – S. Marco / S. Zaccaria
Web: palazzoducale.visitmuve.it

you may be interested

X